Interesting & Fun Facts About Solar Power
Although the term solar power has been talked about frequently
of late, there is still quite a bit you may not be aware of.
While you are probably aware that it is better for the environment,
do you really know the facts about
? If not, read on to find out more.
Here are some basic facts about solar power:
- Solar energy reaches Earth from the sun through its rays.
- This energy that comes from the sun comes in the forms of light
and heat. This is why it is perfect for solar
home heating and electricity. However, that is certainly not
all you can do with solar power.
- While the term solar energy refers to the use of energy from
the sun, it more specifically refers to the utilization of the sun's
energy for electricity.
Here are some fun facts about solar energy:
According to Tech Insider,
more than a million homes in the United States are project to have
by 2016. Compare this to a mere 30,000 homes in 2005! The numbers of homes
utilizing solar power would most probably be far higher if people knew the
benefits of solar power.
- There is enough sunlight that falls on the Earth's surface
every hour to meet the overall world energy demand for an entire
year. Why waste energy when you can reuse the abundance we receive
- Silicon from just one ton of sand that is used in photovoltaic
cells can produce as much electricity as you will find burning
500,000 tons of coal.
- The first big solar power plant opened in California in 1982.
More than 25 years later a lot has evolved. However, it is going
to take many more people using solar power for a difference to
- In the 1830's, the British astronomer John Herschel used a
solar collector box to cook food during an expedition to Africa.
This shows you that almost two centuries ago people were using
solar energy. Not only that, but it was used for cooking which
can certainly be done today as well.
- Albert Einstein won the Nobel Prize in 1921 for his experiments
with solar power and photovoltaics.